DIY Kitchen Cart to Bar Cart Makeover
Kitchen cart makeover that didn't cost anything but time.
A small kitchen cart on wheels finally find its purpose in life--from microwave storage cart to bar cart. I'm finally happy with this tale.
I have always wanted a kitchen island. We found this brand new one at a yard sale for only twenty dollars. Score!
We brought it home and put it all together. It was small and it had wheels so I thought it would be perfect. Sadly I realized it wasn't going to work as an island. One, our kitchen is small and narrow. Two, when two people are in the kitchen making a mess, that space gets even smaller.
So I ended up tucking it at the end of the counter. Sorry the picture doesn't really give you a good view. This was when we finished the floor.
What you don't see is on the opposite side of the sink area is the refrigerator. Add a small island and you really have no room to open the fridge.
The cart functioned as a microwave cart, baking utensil storage, and basket full of stuff. Of course my wine was also stored on the cart.
When I moved our heirloom farm table back into the kitchen, space was even tighter. I needed some inspiration as to what to do with this cart.
Once the hardware was removed and the surfaced had been cleaned, I painted the top with the same green home-made chalk paint I used on the master bath vanity. When it dried I used frog tape to create the striped pattern. I also taped off sections on the legs (I later share why I changed that).
I also painted the inside of the drawer the same color as the stripes. I thought it would be a nice touch to tie the two together.
Next I mixed up some home-made white satin chalk paint which is about 2 Tbl. Plaster of Paris, 1 Tbl. water and then mix in the paint until you get desired thickness.
I chose the white because I had painted the farm house table legs white; not to mention, I'm really workin' to brighten up my home.
I painted everything else white. I lightly sanded the first coat and then gave it another coat of white chalk paint.
Once the second coat was almost dried, I removed the tape and touched up as needed. When it was entirely dried I rubbed some Min-Wax on it.
The last thing I did was reattach the hardware.
For the most part this was what I had envisioned. However, I didn't care for the wood blocks on the legs. Instead of doing anything about it then, I lived with it for a good year--just to see if it would grow on me.
On a rainy weekend I took my wine cart all the way to a full on bar.
As you can see the wood blocks didn't take. The bottom received a couple coats of semi-gloss black. I have a bunch of unused picture frames so I took one of the glasses and set it on top of the black paint.
These are the pretty bottles of booze. I'm thinking a seasonal display of what we like to mix up would work best or maybe just the good stuff.
Finally, the last detail finds a home. This last Christmas we were given this cool bottle opener. It has been put away because I couldn't figure out where I wanted it. It wasn't until I stumbled upon Homeroad's post "Ikea Cart Re-Make" that I figured it out. Thank you, Susan, for the inspiration.
I hope you enjoyed my kitchen cart transformation. Cheers.
Share and like at will.