Rainy Day Project: DIY RV Ottoman
After our youngest graduated, we thought it would be a great idea to look into RV living. That wasn't even a year ago. We're newbies to this road show.
Our first big trip was to a State park in Winthrop, WA. Great set-up. All Hubby had to do was drive it onto our lot. No trees in the way. Neighbors weren't an arms reach away. The lake was a short walk. Clean restrooms. It was sweet!
And then we locked the keys inside the RV.
Thankfully I left the back bedroom window open. It's one of those emergency windows so we were able to open it wide enough for me to slip into. Sounds easy, right?
Here's how it went down. Hubby hoisted me up onto the 1/2" window sill. There I hung. Immediately I began chanting "ow, ow, ow..." in which he replied, "What do you want me to do?" I didn't have the strength to actually pull myself through.
I imagined the neighbors looking across at us. My legs are dangling while my daughter and husband look on, most likely laughing. Rookies!
Finally, he lifted both my legs up so that I could squirm my way across the bed. I ended up with bruises across both legs. Lesson learned. Always have a spare set of keys outside of the trailer.
The next thing we learned is that watching TV on the couch isn't the most comfortable thing but it doesn't leave bruises. One day I will share how we didn't end up with two recliners in our RV.
When my step-mom gave me this crate, I knew exactly what I could do with it.
On a rainy day I pulled this thing out and got to work.
First I took off the plastic corner thingies (I'm pretty sure that is an official label.). Next I took out the sawzall and cut the top of the four 1 X 1s off. Remember the last time I got behind that thing? I'm happy to report I walked it, not the other way around.
Then I gave it a good soap and water sponge bath.
Once it dried, I used wood filler to fill in the screws and holes. Dry. Sand. Wipe down again.
It then got a coat of Kilz spray primer. This is my go to primer for smaller projects. Really helps the top coat adhere and I have found extends the life of said top coat. Plus it dries really fast.
Spray two coats of Rustoleum satin Black Canyon paint and the frame is ready for the Hard cloth wire. I used wire snipers on the cloth which helped speed up the process. From there it was a simple pull, staple, pull, staple until I had the wire hard cloth completely attached. I did need to touch up the paint in a few places.
Last step was to take a scrap piece of wood, cut it to size and then staple some batting and fabric over the top. I did give the bottom a coat of black spray paint. This just rests on top of the crate. I plan on using it to store games, cards, books, etc.
With the wheels it will be easy to move under the table during travel.
If only there were two of them...ho-hum.
Now we just need to test our new foot stool.
I'm sure you have RV storage solutions. I sure hope you share your tale.
Like it. Share it.