Master bathroom gets a make over: part 1
It's been a long time coming. Our 2000 manufactured home master bath needed a makeover. What I wanted to do was gut it and start over but budget just couldn't quite swing a master bath remodel.
Instead my manufactured home master bath received a face lift.
I created an inspiration board. It helped me visualize what I wanted my bathroom to look and feel like.
The board was actually pretty helpful even if I did make many changes along the way.
I began with the 8-light silver vanity fixture. A can of Kiltz and a can of Rustoleum spray paint was a lot more affordable than a brand new light fixture.
The greenish grey walls and ceiling were painted white.
The vanity base is press wood. As you can see in the above picture, I had previously painted it white. Unfortunately it was beginning to show chip marks around the knobs. Fortunately this was the time I learned about chalk paint and how to make your own. Thank you Jamielyn over at iheartnaptime for sharing her recipe.
The vanity base and the cupboard above the toilet got several coats of the chalk paint. I decided to take the door off the cupboard and then distressed it. Once dried, both units were coated with the wax.
Next was to tackle the counter tops. The China sinks (if I had known this was AKA plastic sinks...) were pulled out and the counter top was prepped to get painted--sand, clean, light sand, clean.
The tub and vanity area was taped off. I began with the bath tub area. First I applied the Rustoleum counter top paint along the edges with a brush. Then I used a small roller to finish the remaining area.
The reviews are correct. The smell is STRONG. Windows were open and I wore a mask. It isn't like the paint you are used to. It's sticky. So you don't want to spread the paint like you would with interior paint.
I ran into a problem with the sink area . The first coat went on just like the tub area did. After we installed the new sinks, we had scuffed up a few spots; so I thought I would add another coat to fix. DON'T DO THIS. My counter top now has a crackled like effect. I'm pretty sure I should have let it cure a lot longer before I tried touching it up.
With the new sinks and faucets in, I tackled the trim work on the mirror. Cut the boards, paint black, attach with Hard as Nails adhesive and that's it.
You saw that our bathroom was pretty messy. We didn't have the storage solutions under the sink or the shelves above the sinks. Those were easy. Cut 2x6s to desired length and stain. Anchor to wall and now we have pretty shelves.
Here's how my vanity area turned out.
The bathroom is coming together. Part II reveals what we did with the rest of the space.
Shoot me a comment and share your bathroom tale.